Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Going Through The Big D....

And I don't mean divorce.

I'm talking about diets y'all. The bad word. The word that makes me want to stay in bed with the covers pulled up to my head and sleep so I won't think about eating.

I have a weight problem. My problem with weight is that I have more than I'd like. Almost always. I'm what some people call a yo-yoer. Not that I go on yo-yo diets, but my weight fluctuates week to week, month to month, and year to year.

I have gone about a year or so at my ideal weight (non-consecutively). The first time I was going through the other Big D. Divorce for those of you who have never heard it called that. And of course I wasn't being good to my body, eating junk if I ate at all. I have to admit, at that time, food was not one of my priorities.

The second time, my personal life was strained. I tried to make myself eat but I would just get sick thinking about swallowing food. And I had become obsessed with working out and running. I remember being very happy with my weight at that time, but I know I wasn't healthy.

Then, of course, I met the man who would steal my heart forever, and the "comfort zone" started. That's when you are comfortable with the person you're with and you start eating more, exercising less.

The only difference was, I was still working out...like every day. And I joined a running group who ran 3 - 4 times a week. And I just kept gaining weight! Talk about miserable. I even tried Insanity. Which is exactly what the name means - you are insane to follow this workout regimen. It hurt my body and after 90 days, I weighed the same!!! I was so no a happy camper!

I really think I was not counting calories correctly either. I was assuming I'd burned more than I ate, when I actually was not. So the counting calories has stopped.

Not only did the calorie counting stop, the crazy workouts stopped as well. But I started following Dr. Oz's 2 week rapid weight loss plan. And I lost 8 pounds! I got so excited. And I was only working out for a total of about 20 minutes each day. Some days not even very hard.

Needless to say, I kept that diet going. I have made some changes to the breakfast. And I'm eating regularly with my family in the evenings, but I've kept the weight off. I could not be happier! I'm still working out about 20 minutes a day.

I'm not calling it a diet, more like a change in my habits. I don't really like the terms "lifestyle change". Because I'm still going to eat things I shouldn't eat, but I'm making better habits for myself and my body.

If you have a habit that is good, let me know about it! Maybe I can add it to my good habits. Let's help each other be healthier and happier!