Monday, October 20, 2014

The Dumbest Thing I've Ever Done

It's as bad as you think. It's awful, horrible, dumb.


Before I tell you about the dumbest thing I've ever done, let me tell you a little about myself:


I am a geek, a nerd, a lover of the odd.


I am more country than I'd like to admit.


I was raised in one of those small towns where everyone knew everyone's business (and never let you forget it!).


I am addicted to chocolate - or at least I was until I got pregnant. No matter what I do, I can't get this kid to make me crave chocolate, it's a scary thing!


I love Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings. I mean, I love them.


I love to read. I'm a big fan of Stephen King but the older I get, the less I can handle the scary stories.


I collect gift bags. Not even to reuse! I just collect them...I'm a bag lady.


I have what some people tell me is obsessive compulsive disorder. I will read this very blog post 27 times before I hit the Publish button.


In a nutshell, I am me. And that's all I can honestly be (and apparently I'm a poet and didn't know it).


So what is the dumbest thing I've ever done? I tried to be someone I'm not.


I once tried to like Nascar just to fit in with people. Nascar! Now if that's your thing, more power to you, but it isn't for me. I'm lucky if I make through the warm up laps before I start snoring.


One time, I dressed in clothes that were uncomfortable to go hang out with people who made me feel uncomfortable.


I've even been mean to someone who was very dear to me, just to fit in with people who didn't even like me. (Note: This was in elementary school, but it doesn't make it less awful.)


The worst thing you can do is try to be someone you are not. Because, usually, no matter how hard you try, the real you will come out. Those "friends" who are too cool to binge watch Star Wars probably won't like you much when they walk into your Star Wars themed living room.


So be who you are, embrace all the quirky, different things about yourself! And eventually you will find others who enjoy the same things as you and are way more fun to hang out with anyway.


Note: I got this blog inspiration/ topic from Mama Kat's blog prompts here: 31 October Writing Prompts